Regarding the new TFL data feed, please read this post for more info. Short version: it’s live and available for use with London Bike App – no changes or updates needed.
If you are having any issues with London Bike App, please read the support page and post a comment.
“I have tired all paid and free iPhone apps for the London Cycle Hire scheme and personally prefer London Bike App by Bid Ted Ltd. It has the cleanest, fastest and easiest to use interface and a built in timer that works even when the phone is in standby”. Chris Skitch, Boris Bikes Community Forum
Rent a cycle from any Barclays Cycle Hire docking station, return it to any Barclays Cycle Hire docking station: Use London Bike to find one of the 6000 cycles at the 20 docking stations closest to where you are.
“If you are a Boris Bike user this app is a must!” – Simon, BBC – *****
London Bike supports all current iPhone devices – 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4. It will work with iOS4 (the new one), or iOS3 (the slightly older one). It will work on an iPod Touch, however the mapping and nearest bike functions may not be as useful without a WiFi connection. Also works on an iPad, but to be honest, do you want to lug one around on your bike?
Any problems, please visit the support page and send me an email!
Thanks and happy cycling!
- NEW (v3.2): The dock list now colour codes the docks the same way as the map screen does.
- Using the iPhone’s built-in GPS, see the 20 docking stations closest to your current location in an easy-to-read list view.
- Details include docking station name, postcode, approximate distance from your current location, heading and number of docking points. If the docking station is not available (usually not yet built) the application will show this.
- Shows the number of bikes and free docks at the location (subject to TFL data)
- Tap on any location in the list of Nearest Bikes to see docking station location on a high quality Google Map.
- Popup compass showing you which direction you are facing (3GS and 4 only).
- Note: like any GPS application, leaving the GPS on will use the battery quicker than normal; so once you have finished using London Bike app, we suggest you exit the app and turn the screen off on your phone (i.e. press the power button).
- NEW (v3.2): The map shows the docks/bikes in different colours depending on the availability. Green for more than 5 bikes/docks available, Purple for 1-5 available, and red for 0 available.
- View a high quality Google Map of your location and see the Barclays Cycle Hire locations nearest to you.
- Tap on any pin on the Google Map to show docking station address and total number of docking points.
- Shows the number of bikes and free docks at each docking station (subject to TFL data)
- Use the Routing button to get a cycle-friendly route from your current location to the selected docking point. Routing thanks to Cycle Streets.
- Use the Locate Me button to show your position on the Google Map relative to the Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations.
- Tap the “distance and time” area at the top to remove the route.
- Routing can now use CycleStreets (balanced, quietest, fastest) or CloudMade, meaning you are never without a possible route. Options are set in the iPhone Settings screens
- All of Barclays Cycle Hire’s 350 locations are included in the London Bike app and can be viewed on the map.
- Zoom in or out to view more or less detailed information.
- Timer shows current Barclays Cycle Hire pricing estimate, with approximate number of minutes remaining until the next price increase.
- Timer continues when London Bike app is closed, or your phone is turned off and remains in use until you press Stop or you have not used the London Bike app for two days. (Note: this does not use battery power)
- You will be alerted when the free period of your cycle hire is about to end – even if your phone is off or you are using another application (iOS4 only)
- NEW (v3.2): Allows you to log into your TfL account and see the trips TfL thinks you have taken.
- Handy trip log adds cycle rides as you use the timer. Provides a record to compare with your TFL account.
- Uses the GPS to work out the closest docking point to your start and end location.
- High quality Google Map shows the start and end location.
- Distance shown is based on straight-line distance. Time is based on the timer.